It sounds like you want a publish/subscribe system which streams events to
the browser.

There's a number of different choices for that. I would recommend using a
message queue of some sort to handle pubsub. RabbitMQ comes to mind.

For streaming events to the browser, try Cramp:
https://github.com/lifo/cramp