Hello. If I execute the following code:

ruby -e 'def t(i) p i;t(i+1) end;t 0'

I get this:

8730
8731
-e:1: stack level too deep (SystemStackError)

Alright, that seems normal. My ulimit settings are as follows:

socket buffer size       (bytes, -b) unlimited
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 33554432
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 11095
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 524288
max user processes              (-u) 5547
swap size               (kbytes, -w) unlimited

So, in theory if I *reduce* the stack size, the above number should go
down, right? That's not what happens. I tried reducing the stack size
from 512MB to 24KB, but I am still able to get 8731 iterations. Does
anyone know why?