I think many of us started doing web development in PHP (I started using
PHP in 1998ish or so) and switched to Ruby. I don't think you're going to
get a lot of people specifically recommending PHP on this list.

For me Ruby is the clear choice and I never want to touch PHP again,
however for you there's many things to consider. I don't think Ruby is for
everyone so it depends on the nature of your team and the nature of your
project.

Can you tell us more about what you are doing?