Hi Andrew and Tridib,

On 31/01/12 13:21, andrew mcelroy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Tridib Bandopadhyay<tridib04 / gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> Can anyone tell me about RUBY_CRITICAL(). I want to know what this
>> function is about and what it does and whats the reason of ruby calling
>> this function?
>
> it's a ruby c function. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of
> documentation. Why not pull the ruby source code and read what the function
> does?

Out of interest, I just did that, and in 1.9.2 at least, it is defined
twice, with no comments, with the form:

#define RUBY_CRITICAL(expr) do { expr; } while(0)

And all references are in win32.c.

Eep. :}

I'd hazard a guess that it does absolutely nothing at all (apart from
running the supplied expression/command) in the 1.9.2 release. Perhaps
it is a relic that has since been disabled, or it is to cover code that
has not yet been written? I'm now somewhat curious about this as well.
Since one reference is in a backward compat header, I'd put my money is
on the former.

I wonder if somebody knows?

Garth