David Alan Black [mailto:dblack / candle.superlink.net] wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Nathaniel Talbott wrote:
>
> > Not to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but I've never liked
poster
> > sessions. First of all, I stink at making posters, and second of
all,
> > I don't much like reading them either. Could be because the bright
> > colors scare me, or it could be because I'm not the only geek who
> > stinks at making them :-)
>
> My bubble is intact :-)  "Poster" in this context won't
> involve graphic design -- just a little write-up and
> willingness to distribute it and possibly be on hand to field
> questions in a pretty informal context.

Fair enough... sounds a bit different than the poster sessions I've been
to in the past (such as at OOPSLA). Plus, I'm probably the only one who
hasn't gotten much out of those, too.

> > Instead of (or perhaps in addition to) a poster session, I'd love to

> > see a lightning talk session.
> > http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html
> > (Pardon the reference to the 'P' language). While I've never been to
> > one, it seems easy to put on, and good fun for everyone. Plus it
feeds
> > right in to our inability to concentrate on anything for more than a
> > few....
>
> It's a very different animal from [my conception, at least,
> of] a poster session, so I'd lean toward the "in addition to"
> option.

Yes, it's very different, except in that it lets a lot people get some
face time for presenting something they're interested in. Running them
both makes a lot of sense, since different people like to present
different ways.

> Given the two room/three day format, there are
> definitely time/space slots for a fair amount of activity
> beyond formal presentations.  (The description of the
> lightning session at the above link doesn't do much for me
> personally, but I've heard the idea mentioned at least twice
> in the last 24 hours, so I guess there's a buzz about it :-)

See, your attention span is still too long... ;-)

The most interesting one I heard about was when Larry Wall gave his
whole "State of the Onion" keynote in lightning talk format, with his
daughter keeping time.

Nathaniel

<:((><
+ - -