Marc Heiler wrote in post #1042090:

>> I do not think this has already been done yet.
>
> It always depends on how much one thinks it is finished. :)
>
> There was an even older version of Rush, by a guy from South Africa.
>
> I remember there were drop-down boxes, in colours, in ruby-ncurses,
> when one was typing something like "foo".<TAB WAS PRESSED HERE, THEN THE
> DROP DOWN BOX SHOWED UP>
>
> It was quite awesome. :)
> Sadly the project died.

Indeed, this was 2004-2005 or somewhere thereabouts? I've not seen Reyn anywhere in quite some time. I wasn't personally terribly interested in the curses interface so I moved on to work on rs, but before I got around to implementing a solution to the problem of natural object streams (i.e. pipes for objects as well as text), Rubinius started taking all my time and it got left by the wayside.

I've not kept tabs on the state of the art terribly well, but I think the alternatives of Urchin, detailed by Mark earlier, and the new rush, probably cover most of the regular use cases. There's still  in my opinion  demand for an object shell, but it's not terribly pressing.

If one did want to work on a shell of their own, the ripl project would probably be a good place to start. In addition to, that is, carefully studying the shell-pertinent parts of the *x architecture.

--
rue