I found this:
http://markusjais.com/the-group_by-method-from-rubys-enumerable-mixin-and-compared-with-scal/

But I don't know how that would work with what I am doing.

Sorry that I don't know how to accomplish what I need to accomplish.  I
just know how to run the report manually in the application.  Hoping I
can develop the ruby script to make it faster and more efficient.

I used the other method you put in the code to run the sum, and am
trying it now.  It has been running for an hour.  Once it finishes, I
will report back on what the output looks like.

Thanks again.  I appreciate you taking the time to look at this issue.