> I'd regard Aruna as "just another soon-to-fail Internet IPO" except
> that they actually have a real name computer scientist around...  The
> thing that's surprising is that they've been around since '96, and
> have neither boomed nor busted.

Well, Aruna is not an internet IPO and is not soon-to-fail.  Here is a
brief history:

I found myself out of work a year and half ago when my contract ended.
I also found that my skills were a little dated and I decided to take a
little time to change that.  I wanted to learn OO and stumbled onto Ruby
while researching for an OO language to learn.  I quickly fell in love
with Ruby.  In order to learn Ruby properly, I felt I needed a project
and Aruna DB was started. After the first release of Aruna, I found
myself wanting to add a front end to Aruna and Locana was born.  The
reason for the commercial looking web site was my brief and unsuccessful
attempt to attract a little consulting work or advertising.  I plan to
change the Aruna web site to RDoc in the near future.  RDoc did not
exist when I created the documentation for Aruna.

I am currently investing as much of time as possible in completing the
next release of Locana.  I have two more releases planned before I
intend to return to Aruna.  Both projects are open source and freeware.

My motivation for creating a VB replacement was inspired by a client in
CA for whom I created a membership application in Access.  I would love
to upgrade my client's membership application but have not found an
adequate alternative to Access that I would like to use.

My long term goal is to earn a living customizing Locana, Aruna, or the
membership application I intend to created for companies.  This implies
that I am counting on the growing popularity of Ruby.

So, I expect Aruna and Locana to be around a long time unless Ruby never
gains the popularity that I believe it will.

--
Thanks, Michael Davis
Database Architect and Senior Software Engineer, Seva Inc.