Hi --

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Nathaniel Talbott wrote:

> Not to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but I've never liked poster
> sessions. First of all, I stink at making posters, and second of all, I
> don't much like reading them either. Could be because the bright colors
> scare me, or it could be because I'm not the only geek who stinks at
> making them :-)

My bubble is intact :-)  "Poster" in this context won't involve graphic
design -- just a little write-up and willingness to distribute it and
possibly be on hand to field questions in a pretty informal context.

> Instead of (or perhaps in addition to) a poster session, I'd love to see
> a lightning talk session. http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html
> (Pardon the reference to the 'P' language). While I've never been to
> one, it seems easy to put on, and good fun for everyone. Plus it feeds
> right in to our inability to concentrate on anything for more than a
> few....

It's a very different animal from [my conception, at least, of] a
poster session, so I'd lean toward the "in addition to" option.  Given
the two room/three day format, there are definitely time/space slots
for a fair amount of activity beyond formal presentations.  (The
description of the lightning session at the above link doesn't do much
for me personally, but I've heard the idea mentioned at least twice in
the last 24 hours, so I guess there's a buzz about it :-)

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net