Aren't Statistical calculations where the current behavior would be
desired a special rather than general case though?  If this particular
gotcha is coming up every six months and the types of tasks that would
benefit from this behavior is smaller than those that are harmed by it
shouldn't the default behavior be adjusted to account for this?