David Alan Black [mailto:dblack / candle.superlink.net] wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Daniel Berger wrote:
>
> > Ok - so I'm probably jumping the gun here, but hey, what the heck.
>
> That's OK :-)  At some point fairly soon, we will post a call
> for presentation topics.  I think we're going to have more
> people this year.  Also, we have two rooms for three days,
> instead of one room for two days, so there's more time and
> space.  I know this introduces the vexing problem of having
> things run concurrently and not everyone being able to go to
> everything... but, for better or worse, that's how it is at
> virtually every non-tiny conference, probably with good reason.

I don't see any problem with this... as long as everybody comes to MY
talk.

;-)

> Just to plant an idea in people's heads: we're thinking of
> doing a poster session, i.e., a part of one room where
> projects and proposals can be presented and distributed
> throughout the conference.  This is a good way to let ideas
> proliferate while taking the burden off the formal/linear
> presentations.

Not to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but I've never liked poster
sessions. First of all, I stink at making posters, and second of all, I
don't much like reading them either. Could be because the bright colors
scare me, or it could be because I'm not the only geek who stinks at
making them :-)

Instead of (or perhaps in addition to) a poster session, I'd love to see
a lightning talk session. http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html
(Pardon the reference to the 'P' language). While I've never been to
one, it seems easy to put on, and good fun for everyone. Plus it feeds
right in to our inability to concentrate on anything for more than a
few....

What were we talking about?

Nathaniel

<:((><