Ofcourse, rack could always use some help, and from what I hear:
especially with pre-release testing.

But to respond back to the original poster, Ruby is perfectly capable
of producing a web application using the stdlib alone [1], but either
way you're going to be using a library for assistance and rack is
about as standard as it gets when it comes to web apps.

1: http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/web.html