>=20
> I think it's come to the point where a forum is better than a mailing
> list for general discussions about Ruby.  I never would have said that
> a few years ago, but I'm saying it now.  In a mailing list, every
> message gets beamed into your inbox, so some people think they have
> the right to  react negatively to ignorance/oversights/off-topic
> chatter, etc.  In a forum, you opt in to discussions, and have to
> accept that it's a discussion, which typically involves repetition and
> redundancy, as it's conducted by humans.
>=20
> Different sections to a forum make great sense as well.
>=20
> Maybe there already is a vibrant one out there that I don't know =
about.
>=20

As someone who cares for a local ruby forum, I can say one thing out
of experience: Forums are on a decline, so I wouldn't bother about =
creating=20
a new one, even if it was a more fitting environment.

As for the discussion: this comes up every 6 months and the horse is =
already
dead in the first mail. While I can certainly understand the frustration =
with
float, the decision is made. Reverting it would mean touching every =
piece of
software that does statistics. And in contrast to popular belief, there =
is
quite a lot of it out there. I know that at least 10 of my reporting =
scripts
running at several clients offices would break, which would be =
unacceptable for
me (expecially, because float is the correct datatype there).=20
Changing such a primitive in a language is reckless.

I am perfectly fine with [insert the next big thing] taking a different =
approach there.

Regards,
Florian=