Hi Rohit (I'm Rohit too!)

I wrote some ruby-gtk2 code a while back and it was not at all a bad
experience:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

I wouldn't call it widely used outside of Linux, but my code was portable
to both Windows and OSX.  Users of Windows, simply have to install Ruby and
then install GTK2 libraries.

There should be pretty good docs on the website, but I can give you some
working samples I wrote that deal with gnome notificatiers.

Rohit