On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM, T.J. L. <tlamanna42 / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to teach myself, so I appreciate all the feedback, I still
> can't seem to solve the problem though. Like I said, I can get all of
> the information to show but parsing through and getting particular
> information leaves me stumped. How do I go about pulling just
> "bottom_time" or "new_bottom" and displaying only that information.
> Sorry if it's not clear, I'm still trying to work my way through the
> language.

You need to extract the top level object and all nested objects that
contain the object you want to access.  YAML and Marshal formats are
not intended to do queries on them.  These are serialization formats
which let you write out a complete object graph.  The easiest is to
just write out one object which references all the things you want
persisted.

Even if you would write items individually you need to remember the
order in which you have written manually and read the stream from the
beginning until you get to the point of interest - if you happen to
want to read the object you wrote last you need to read the whole
stream.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/