OMG!  I researched many posts and articles relating to the topic of
'require' before posting here.  None of them mentioned anything about
this aspect of 'require'.  Everything I read led me to believe that when
I 'require' a file, the contents of the file is inserted into the source
code at that point as though it had simply been typed into the fi code
directly.  Now I don't know if there is a way to do that (i.e., simply
"include" a the contents of a file in the source code).  I was a little
confused about what you were trying to tell me about 'load'; but, I
don't think you were telling me that it would accomplish that purpose.
It would be nice to know if there is any way to accomplish this
objective.

This is a total game changer for me.  I'm going to have to return to the
drawing board and access whether (in light of this new knowledge) there
is a better way for me to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.  I
may well be back for additional help.  However, I think you have fully
clarified this particular issue.  Thanks for the input.

      ... doug