On Jan 19, 2012, at 09:13 , T.J. L. wrote:

> Here is a link to what I have:
>=20
> http://codepad.org/mx5Qheyr
>=20
> I'd really appreciate any guidance someone can offer.

Honestly, when you write code that looks like this:

> def saveDB
>         File.open( $fn, 'w' ) {
>                 # note the extra line with the massive amounts of =
trailing whitespace...
>         |f|
>         f.write($col_array.to_yaml)
>         f.write($totaltime.to_yaml)
> }
> end

my brain stops reading almost immediately. Your indentation, =
parenthesis, inconsistencies, and general styling all detract from the =
readability of the code to the point where it's hard to see the forest =
through the trees.

Here is idiomatic ruby:

def save_db
  File.open $filename, 'w' do |f|
    f.write $dives.to_yaml
    f.write $total_time.to_yaml # tho, this is entirely redundant and =
could be recalculated

2 spaces per indent, snake case, no parens except as needed, real names.

Drop whatever language you're coming from __completely__. Embrace ruby.