Ralf Mueller wrote in post #1041487:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to install ruby-netcdf, but my netcdf-installation is in a
> non-standard directory. Is there any
> possibility to call
>
> gem install ruby-netcdf
>
> with additional options so that the extconf.rb is called with an option
> like
>
> ruby extronf,rb --with-netcdf-dir=/PATH/TO/NETCDFROOT
>
> instead of plain
>
> ruby extconf.rb

Read `gem help install` will set you free:

$ gem help install
Usage: gem install GEMNAME [GEMNAME ...] [options] -- --build-flags
[options]

    If an extension fails to compile during gem installation the gem
    specification is not written out, but the gem remains unpacked in
the
    repository.  You may need to specify the path to the library's
headers and
    libraries to continue.  You can do this by adding a -- between
RubyGems'
    options and the extension's build options:

      $ gem install some_extension_gem
      [build fails]
      Gem files will remain installed in \
      /path/to/gems/some_extension_gem-1.0 for inspection.
      Results logged to
/path/to/gems/some_extension_gem-1.0/gem_make.out

      $ gem install some_extension_gem --
--with-extension-lib=/path/to/lib
      [build succeeds]

--