On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 20:41, Tim Roberts <timr / probo.com> wrote:
> Ralph Shnelvar <ralphs / dos32.com> wrote:
>>
>>Thank you. It is a good explanation.
>>
>>Is there a way to see the object id's of the variable "a" and "string" in
>>the first statement?
>
> You said it was a good explanation, but your question makes it obvious that
> you did not understand it.

To stick in my oar: Ralph, if you're familiar with pointers in
languages like C and C++, you can think of these "references" Tim
speaks of, as being like pointers, and the variables as being like,
well, variables.  You can assign a pointer value to any number of
variables, and assign one variable to another, which just copies the
pointer... or you can assign a variable a new pointer value.  (If
you're not familiar with pointers, then, well, never mind....)

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, President, Dave Aronson Software Engineering and Training
Ruby on Rails Freelancing (Northern Virginia, Washington DC, or Remote)