Brandon,

Saturday, January 14, 2012, 8:14:32 AM, you wrote:

BK> First off I apologize for the 'noobishness' of this question. I'm on a
BK> quest to teach myself programming and I started off with Ruby. Now I'm
BK> following online lessons and it's going pretty well but I'm stuck on
BK> program they suggested to make and I don't want to move forward until I
BK> know how to do it.

BK> They want me to write a program that asks for someone's favorite number
BK> then add 1 to the number and say that the program thinks that number is
BK> just a little bit bigger and better. This is what I have:

BK> p 'Hey you! What\'s your favorite number?'
BK> fav = gets.chomp
BK> fav2 = fav.to_i + 1
BK> p '...well that\'s an OK number but don\'t you think ' + fav2 + ' is a
BK> little bit bigger and better?'

BK> (I have puts abbreviated to p)

BK> So far from what I've learned I'm stuck, what am I getting wrong here?

Try this

puts 'Hey you! What\'s your favorite number?'
fav = gets.chomp
puts "fav=" + fav
puts "fav.size=#{fav.size}"
fav2 = fav.to_i + 1
puts "fav2=" + fav2.to_s
puts '...well that\'s an OK number but don\'t you think ' + fav2.to_s + ' is a little bit bigger and better?'

and read these

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/217432
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/?Chapter=05