On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, David Alan Black wrote:

> I have to confess that to me it just doesn't look or feel like Ruby.
> I know that's very vague... that's why I was trying to come up with a
> case illustrating the importance (or at least Ruby-ness) of all the
> assignments being made, independent of any branching within the code
> of the block.

I think you are right--I think I would 'expect' all assignments to be
made.  I.e.

   proc { if |a| then |b| else |c| end }

should only be syntatic sugar for

   proc { |a,b,c| if a then b else c end }

or, equivalently

  proc { |p| a,b,c=p; if a then b else c end }

The |a| would just be syntax to mark which symbols should be bound to the
arguments when the block is evaluated.

I would also expect

   proc { if |a| then |b| else |c|+b end }

to work, except in more complex cases, i'd use the current syntax.

--
Lars Christensen, larsch / cs.auc.dk