On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Luke D. <crazybuzz100 / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ruby world!
>
> Just thought I'd post my first Ruby program and say hi.
>
> I'm a classical pianist/vocalist and have to learn Sol-fa as part of my
> aural work at UNI.
> This is my first stab at making a program of any use to me, quite
> exciting!
>
> If anyone has some suggestions (features, simplify code, bad commenting
> etc.) it would be good if I knew now before I delved deeper into the
> Ruby world!
>
> The program asks the user how many notes he wants to sing, then randomly
> chooses those notes from a hash. The idea is that the user then sings
> the Sol-fa presented to them on the screen.
>
> (I assume I posted this in the right place?)
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6894/SolFa.rb

Welcome to Ruby !
It's actually a quite good first program, congratulations.
There are a couple of minor things I would change:

A Hash whose keys are numbers like an index (they don't have inherent
meaning) resembles too much an Array. In this example I can't see why
that hash cannot be an Array:

notes = %w{Doh Ray Me Fah Soh Lah Te}

and change the random to

notes[rand(notes.length)]

Also, what the user types is always a number for you, so just
transform it the first time, instead of every time you use it:

how_many = gets.to_i

Now you don't need the to_i every time you use it.

Other than that, good work !

Jesus.