On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena / gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #1038946:
> >
> > I am curious how I got into this situation though ... (I was upgrading
> > in rvm from the default 1.9.2 .rvmrc to test a new 1.9.3 environment
> > and maybe I made a mistake in that process ... I cannot exactly
> > reproduce my command history).
> >
>
> Did you use rvm upgrade to copy gems from one version to the other?
>

1) In recent days, I have not used rvm upgrade.

I have different rubies installed in parallel in rvm, each have many
different
gemsets (e.g. 1.9.2@shoes and 1.9.3@shoes). Each ruby is newly
compiled (by rvm) and each gem is newly compiled (if native) in it's gemset.

2) But, around 1 Nov 2011, I had executed this command

> $ rvm upgrade ruby-1.9.3-rc1 ruby-1.9.3

as indicated in my mail of 19 Nov 2011

  http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/390355

So, that may be related to the problem.

Today (2012-01-01), I spent quite some time trying to reproduce this
problem (re-installing 1.9.3-rc1 and then doing the `rvm upgrade` to
1.9.3-p0 , but I could not make it fail in this way).

Also, checking the log file

  new@ASUS:~/.rvm/log/1.9.3-rc1@shoes/gemset.pristine.log

mentions:

  ...
  Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
  Restored json-1.6.1
  ...

so it seems that the `rvm upgrade` rebuilds the native extensions.

At this time, I am afraid I will not be able to reproduce this issue.

Thanks for your time anyway,

Peter

-- 
Peter Vandenabeele
http://twitter.com/peter_v
http://rails.vandenabeele.com