On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 01:14:28AM +0900, Pat Eyler wrote:

> Would it be worth considering holding multiple ruby gatherings in
> different areas concurrently?  Each could focus on a specific topic
> working, learning, and socializing together (and maybe ircing between the
> groups).  At the end of the sessions, each group could present ideas,
> docs, new code, whatever back to the larger ruby community.  We could pick
> a day (or a long weekend), call it World Ruby Day, and get to work.

I think this idea has merit. I agree with Dave on not limiting
gatherings, but as these events begin happening and we progress
as a community, I think the World Ruby Day(s) would be a great
anual event.

Public Notice:

I am in KY and would like to have a Ruby (code) Fest sometime
near the end of the summer (around August). I can drive to
several states relatively cheaply, plus I can fly to Tampa
very cheaply. At this point in time I am interested in developing
a website using ruby. I plan to use mod_ruby, eruby and mysql.
I would like to work up a website system that would be flexible,
easy to administer and could be open-sourced.
If anyone lives near KY and is interested in this area of
development, I would like to hear from you.

PS
 For some reason I don't like the name Ruby Camp. It makes me
think of military camps for some reason. However, I think it
would be helpful if we had a name for such events (although
I know of none that have happened yet at this point in time).
Here are a few names that may work:

  Ruby Retreat  (RR)
  Ruby Fest
  Ruby Coding Vacation (RCV)
  Ruby Developers Gathering

I think it would be great if these type of events happened
on a regular basis and began to become a community resource.
For example, one could plan to attend the 2002 Atlanta Ruby Retreat,
or the 2003 North Dallas Ruby Retreat.

$0.04

--
Jim Freeze
If only I had something clever to say for my comment...