On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Alex Sweps <alexszepes / gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks you Gary it works now. HOWEVER one last thing I cannot get
> working. When i run the file from the windows command prompt:
> "c:/windows/ruby file.rb file"
> it works perfect but i have a batch file that puts the file into the
> script and it gives the error Permission Denied Errno::EACCES. I suspect
> this is due to the file not being closed when it tries to rename it. The
> .close methods produce the error undefinded method 'close' for Array.

If you still think this may be the case (of the file not being closed
properly before rename), what happens when you run my example
code exactly:

File.open("original") do |f|
  puts f.readline
end # this automatically closes the file (because a block is used)

File.rename("original", "new_name")

File.open("new_name") do |f|
  puts f.readline
end

Sorry, I could not test this on Windows myself, but I assume it should work
?

Peter

--
Peter Vandenabeele