On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Daniel Berger wrote:

> "Pat Eyler" <pate / eylerfamily.org> wrote in message
> news:Pine.LNX.4.30.0204271239520.882-100000 / bigfun.whirlycott.com...

> the
> pick
> > >
> > > Maybe worth considering, but I guess my reservation is that the more
> > > complex a plan, and the broader the consensus it requires, the less
> > > likely it is ever to happen.  I think Ruby camps (or whatever) should
> > > be encouraged to spring up whe[rn]ever possible.  That wouldn't
> > > necessarily mean that what you're envisioning could never happen --
> > > just that if people are eager to meet and have little codefests, it
> > > would sort of be too bad for them not to just go ahead with it.
> >
> > Hmm, yes this is true.  I wasn't thinking about trying to supplant the
> > Ruby Camps, but to compliment them.  I think they serve similar ends but
> > probably target different groups (I'd guess that there is some overlap
> > though.)
> >
> > I'll keep chewing on the idea and see what I come up with ... thoughts,
> > suggestions, criticism, etc. are welcome.
>
> The Perl community has such a beast, called "Perl Mongers", where people at
> or near (usually) major cities can get together and have little get
> togethers to talk about Perl stuff.  Thus you have the London.pm (pm = perl
> monger, a play on 'perl module'), Minneapolis.pm, etc.  Generally, this
> seems to to consist of one or two people giving a presentation, followed by
> beer drinking.  I think that one person from the area more or less
> volunteers to run it, sets up a mailing list, and mails out invites or
> requests for presentations.  I think the average gathering happens about onc
> e a month (depending on the group).
>
> You can find a sample page here - http://minneapolis.pm.org/ or
> http://london.pm.org/
>
> Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

We're currently running the Seattle Ruby Brigade (seattle.rb) out here in
the Pacific NW, trying to run monthly meetings (next one is 4/30), and
working on projects (right now we've started a web archiver/web based
mailinglist management interface).

I think that a 'World Ruby Day' could be more than that.  It would be a
day that different ruby user groups, or ad hoc groups could all get
together and work on something which they'd contribute back to teh
community.  I can see some problems that might come up; duplication of
effort and perceived beauracracy are the biggest two that stand out.

thanks,
-pate