"Pat Eyler" <pate / eylerfamily.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.30.0204271239520.882-100000 / bigfun.whirlycott.com...

> > > Would it be worth considering holding multiple ruby gatherings in
> > > different areas concurrently?  Each could focus on a specific topic
> > > working, learning, and socializing together (and maybe ircing between
the
> > > groups).  At the end of the sessions, each group could present ideas,
> > > docs, new code, whatever back to the larger ruby community.  We could
pick
> > > a day (or a long weekend), call it World Ruby Day, and get to work.
> >
> > Maybe worth considering, but I guess my reservation is that the more
> > complex a plan, and the broader the consensus it requires, the less
> > likely it is ever to happen.  I think Ruby camps (or whatever) should
> > be encouraged to spring up whe[rn]ever possible.  That wouldn't
> > necessarily mean that what you're envisioning could never happen --
> > just that if people are eager to meet and have little codefests, it
> > would sort of be too bad for them not to just go ahead with it.
>
> Hmm, yes this is true.  I wasn't thinking about trying to supplant the
> Ruby Camps, but to compliment them.  I think they serve similar ends but
> probably target different groups (I'd guess that there is some overlap
> though.)
>
> I'll keep chewing on the idea and see what I come up with ... thoughts,
> suggestions, criticism, etc. are welcome.

The Perl community has such a beast, called "Perl Mongers", where people at
or near (usually) major cities can get together and have little get
togethers to talk about Perl stuff.  Thus you have the London.pm (pm = perl
monger, a play on 'perl module'), Minneapolis.pm, etc.  Generally, this
seems to to consist of one or two people giving a presentation, followed by
beer drinking.  I think that one person from the area more or less
volunteers to run it, sets up a mailing list, and mails out invites or
requests for presentations.  I think the average gathering happens about onc
e a month (depending on the group).

You can find a sample page here - http://minneapolis.pm.org/ or
http://london.pm.org/

Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

Regards,

Dan