-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Brian Candler [mailto:b.candler / pobox.com]
Inviato: sabato 12 novembre 2011 22:34
A: ruby-talk ML
Oggetto: Re: Using Ruby to install/manage something from source - Features?

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

> The instruction:
>
>   compile htop

brew install htop

> What would YOU expect of any "Package" manager in Ruby?

Pretty much exactly what Homebrew does :-)

Of course Homebrew is sold as something for OSX users, but the scripts
('formula') are just small ruby scripts which do download - compile - make -
install, with a bunch of useful helper scripts:
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Formula-Cookbook

With minor tweaks you could use them anywhere. Of course, the dependencies
on platform X won't be exactly the same as the dependencies on platform Y,
since there is an assumption about what already exists in the system, and
any existing patches they carry are likely to be specific to OSX.