matz / ruby-lang.org (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote in message news:<1019866175.678383.12427.nullmailer / picachu.netlab.jp>...
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: a small ruby for embedded applications"
>     on 02/04/27, Matt M Sykes <mattmsykes / yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> |It is my understanding that statically linking to a LGPL library
> |requires your source code to be released or to be publically available
> |upon request.
>
> No.  Linking a GPL library will make your source code to be opened,
> but a LGPL library will not.  You just have to allow re-linking your
> application with newer version of the library.  See COPYING.LIB file.

You are right, I forgot about that part.  But practically speaking,
most companies will not want to bother distributing all their object
files along with a Makefile or a project file (for Codewarrior) for
each platform.  Aside from being just a hassle, in many cases this is
technically or politically infeasible.

In particular, publishing the object files with their linking symbols,
compiler options and such would probably violate our non-disclosure
agreement with Sony since we would effectively be exposing Sony's
PlayStation 2 API.

--Matt