----- Original Message -----
From: "David Salamon" <david / myth.sdsu.edu>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: Help learning Ruby

> On 4/25/02 11:09 PM, "Euan Mee" <lucid / connectfree.co.uk> wrote:
> > The Pickaxe book's formal title is:
> > Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide
>
> I looked at the online version, and they still don't explain how to do the
> simplest things. I open ruby, and type 'Print "Hello world!"'... Nothing
> happens!!
>     How do you compile/interpret a ruby file?
>     thanks
>     David Salamon

Are you on Windows, by any chance?

I've never used that IDE-looking thing (rubywin?) very much...

If you used the Windows installer version, I think it sets up
the file associations so you can double-click on a .rb (or .rbw)
file. (The .rbw extension will not bring up a console window,
IIRC...)

If you are used to a command line, you can always type:
    ruby file.rb
on either Windows or UNIX...

If you bring up Ruby by typing:
  ruby
and then type your program into stdin, you can
type a control-D (control-Z on Windows??) to
do a manual EOF.

Hope this helps...
Hal Fulton