On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Nathan Kossaeth <
system_freak_2004 / yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to do web programming, integration, and coding mainly.  I
> have a descent budget and I can get a virtual box to set up Fedora( or
> any other linux OS) if needed.  The books you recommended, are they
> ebooks?  I am extremely dedicated to learning programming and I really
> want to do this.  Do you have any suggestions on small projects I can do
> to start out doing?
>
> One more thing, do you know of any other Ruby websites that would be of
> help?  I was doing an internship at Rackspace and one of the ruby
> developers gave me a lot of links and I didn't save them.  One of those
> websites was a site where they give you a program that has an error in
> it and you have to try to figure out the problem and fix it before you
> go onto the next one.
>
> --

Hi, Nathan,

I put together Ruby Kickstart (http://ruby-kickstart.com/) to help people
learn to program in Ruby :)

There are six videos of me teaching my friends, plus an extra one about
recursion. There are quizzes you can choose to go through, and there is a
series of about 60 challenges with tests so that you can work on them on
your own and know immediately if you got the answer correct. Solutions are
also provided, so if you think that's what you need, you'll be able to
reference one way I did it. At the end, you'll make a very simple web
application and put it online.

If you go through this and find yourself struggling, you're welcome to
shoot me an email.

I've also had someone go through it and come up with a very elegant
solution and send it to me. Wound up using the solution in a presentation I
gave :)

Also, find local usergroups so you can chat with other people who are
excited about the same things. Here in Chicago, there's a Ruby meetup about
3 times a month. Great way to meet new people and get inspired.

-Josh