Since Cherry Blosxom was just posted, I thought
I'd take the opportunity to educate myself a little,
if Rich and/or someone will answer a question or
two...

About blogs in general:

1. Are these intended for wiki-like sites where
anyone can post? Or diary/journal-like sites
where only the one author can make additions?
Or is it both?

2. Is it assumed that the entry-creation tool will
run on the same machine as the web server?
And is it CGI-based? In other words, can the
tool and the server be both local, both remote,
or one of each?

And where does Cherry Blosxom stand on these
issues?

My situation is this:

1. I use Win98, sometimes Linux, on the desktop.
2. My web hosting is all remote -- UNIX-based,
far away, accessed via FTP and telnet.
3. I'd like to be able to add stuff to certain web pages
in journal-like fashion without bothering to FTP or
telnet or fire up HomeSite...

Am I looking for blogging software or something
else entirely?

Thanks,
Hal Fulton