"Dhanuja B." <thanuja_16 / yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>We need the truncation method to display the text in the browser.
>It should support the widely used browsers.

This is simply impossible to do on the server side, in part because you
don't know exactly what font substitutions might be made.  The only way to
compute the pixel size of a string is to know the exact pixel width of all
of the font glyphs in the string, plus any kerning rules that might be
used.  You do not have that information, and you cannot get that
information.

You'll have to use CSS.
--
Tim Roberts, timr / probo.com