Akvile K. wrote in post #1036147:
> what i need is that this procedure works in a programm that chsnges the
> lights in a traffic light. i am using timer now but i am 100% sure that
> my professor during the exam wants to see a function or a procedure in
> this programm.

If that's really the case then your professor doesn't know much about
ruby. Ruby has neither procedures nor functions - it has methods. (You
could count lambdas as being another type of callable too)

In some imperative languages, the only difference between a procedure
and a function is whether it returns a value or not. So by that
definition, a method in ruby will substitute for either.

Now, if you are going to define a method, I suggest you do it *outside*
a block. e.g.

def mymethod(x,y,z)

Shoes.app do
  ... all this is a block
  mymethod(a,b,c)
  ... etc
end

This is because a block is essentially a bit of callback code, to be
executed zero, one or more times by the method it is passed to
(Shoes.app here). So if you use 'def' within a block, you may end up
defining the same method lots of times.