Hi,

I'm Masaru Nagai.
I sent the email which is disscussed here.

First of all I must apologize to you.
I'm very sorry for annoying some of the members due to sudden contacts,
I think I should post mailing list to declare my research in advance.
And I am sorry for being late for finding this thread.

As I explained in email,
I'm studying about FLOSS communities in graduate school.
The research is absolutely for the academic purpose,
not for either commerce or phishing.
In fact, I chose the Google Docs Form so as to prove the safety of the
link.
To clarify what I want to do, I wrote additional information in my site.

In order to enhance the credibility of the research,
I attached unique ID(Answer ID) for each repondent to avoid repeated
answers.
This is because I decided to send direct email to each members.

I read all the replies,
and replied them as many times as possible
if the respondents asked me something about the research.
Some of them gave me warm messages, others criticized me quite
correctly.
I appreciate all the respondents from the bottom of my heart.

> I wonder if matz knows about it.

I emailed him in advance and had a reply.
Then I promised him I would ask each participant for cooperation.
So please think the research is completely responsible for me, never
for him.

> Yeah, I told him I don't like web browsers, JavaScript or graphics

Thank you for the reply.
I hesitated it because it will violate the privacy policy
to provide only you with text version(then your data will be
identifiable) , sorry:)

> Most of the english seems results of Google Translate, most likely
> because the original form is Japanesse.

I feel pretty sorry.
Many of respondents said that the wording in my questionnaire is very
confusing.
I chose most of the questionnaire items from the former researches
written in English,
especially those in social psychology.
I could not modify them flexibly because it would devastate the validity
of them.

> I suspect it's from ruby-talk as I'm not subscribed to the ruby-core ML.

I extracted participants from ruby-list|core|dev|talk
since I wanted to examine the difference from core developers to usual
users.

> It seems like a terminology clash, i.e. he has actually
> meant "Ruby community" instead of "project", or something like that.

This also confused many participants, sorry.
I had to prepare a word instead of "community(often used as a
sociological terminology)"
as I want to examine where the boundary of the community exists.
However I added the word in the mail subject because I think it is more
comprehensible:-)

Best Regards,

Masaru Nagai