I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your specific question.  Just
wanted to personally express alot of interest in this project.  I'm
working on an embedded project currently, and would LOVE to be able
to use Ruby in such an environment.  One small comment -- unless you
are concerned about memory footprint, I feel a little uncomfortable
with the idea of taking out the Ruby regular expression engine.  It
facilitates alot of otherwise difficult text processing, and should
be farily operating platform independent.  I guess the best thing
(eventually) would be to provide a source package in which one could,
(via a #define or configuration file or something) selectively either
include or exclude regular expressions, and maybe some other "optional"
Ruby features.  You might want to think about building it on top of
a small portable embedded OS such as uCos.  Please let me know how
your efforts are proceeding, or if I can help in any way.  Its a
great idea.  Thanks alot.

Dennis

|     The way to be happy is to be good     |