Sylvester Keil wrote in post #1035129:

> Is this a C++ extensions? I would be careful mixing new/delete and
> Ruby's x-allocators. Why would you do that here? Would it not be better
> to use xmalloc and Data_Wrap_Struct?

No.  I'm attempting this in pure C.  The tsk library is written in cpp,
if that's relevant.  As for Data_Wrap_Struct, I tried that like so:

TSK_IMG_INFO * ptr = malloc(sizeof(TSK_IMG_INFO));
Data_Wrap_Struct(klass, NULL, deallocate, ptr);

I understood Data_Make_Struct to combine these two steps, so I did.  I
assumed the product, ptr, is returned when the allocation function ends.
Every example I found returned the Data_Wrap_Struct function, so again I
thought I was on the right track.

I've tried malloc and ALLOC, with no change in my tests.  Haven't tried
xalloc yet.