Hans Mackowiak wrote in post #1035077:
> Marc Heiler wrote in post #1034986:
>> Take Symbols vs. Strings. It is boring. Symbols are boring. Strings are
>> fun. Whoever recommends using Symbols is boring people.
>
> i do not share your opinion.
>
> i use smybols as keys in a hash and in multible other locations at the
> same time, if i would use Strings instat the memory usage would be
> multiplied with n

Have you actually measured it, or are you just guessing?

Did you know that multiple String objects in ruby can share a reference
to the same underlying storage, with copy-on-write?

I'd say the guideline is: use the tool which makes your intention the
clearest, not the one which might (or might not) shave a half a
microsecond off the runtime. If that half-microsecond really mattered,
you wouldn't be using ruby in the first place.

OTOH, I'd hardly describe strings as "fun" these days.
https://github.com/candlerb/string19/blob/master/string19.rb