On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Marc Heiler <shevegen / linuxmail.org> wrote:
> The language C uses aliases too. They are called "pointers" and
> you can point to a pointer, to a function, or have functions call
> or return pointers.

An alias is not the same as using a C pointer.  A C pointer has one
more level of indirection which an alias does not have.

> What is higher on the list is the programming style of someone
> else. Especially when a lot of eval* are used and a lot of
> Proc.new - this all confuses me to no ends.

It seems here we have the real motivation for this thread.  But do you
think it is a good idea to make personal experience of one person the
guideline for language evolution?

> I sometimes wonder how a minimalistic ruby would look like (minimalistic
> in syntax. If I'd ever make a programming language, I would make the
> stdlib HUGE. When like 5 people need to use something, and code
> something
> on their own which has 95% overlapping functionality, I'd automatically
> throw it into stdlib.

I believe you should think a bit more about this idea of yours.
Especially please think about the downsides of this approach.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/