I'm doing a fresh sandboxed install of Ruby 'n Rails 'n such.  The
install is evidently having trouble finding yaml.h (or libyaml) and
building psych.  I'm running OSX 10.6.8 ("Snow Leopard")

Synopsis:
======

$ # SETTING UP THE ENVIRONMENT
$ SANDBOX=/Users/me/Developer/Sandbox
$ PATH=${SANDBOX}/usr/bin:${PATH}

$ # INSTALL A MODERN READLINE
$ cd ../readline-6.2
$ ./configure --prefix=$SANDBOX/usr
<snip...>
$ make install
<snip...>
$ make clean

$ # INSTALL YAML 0.1.4
$ cd ../yaml-0.1.4
$ ./configure --prefix=$SANDBOX/usr
<snip...>
$ make install
<snip...>
$ make clean

$ # INSTALL RUBY
$ cd ../ruby-1.9.3-p0
$ ./configure --prefix=$SANDBOX/usr
<snip...>
$ make install
<snip...>
configuring psych
yaml.h is missing. Please install libyaml.
Failed to configure psych. It will not be installed.
<snip...>
$ make clean

$ # TRY TO USE GEM
$ gem update --system
$SANDBOX/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/yaml.rb:56:in `<top (required)>':
It seems your ruby installation is missing psych (for YAML output).
To eliminate this warning, please install libyaml and reinstall your
ruby.

===============
Note that YAML did create and install libraries in the sandboxed
directory:

$ ls $SANDBOX/usr/lib
libhistory.6.2.dylib  libreadline.6.2.dylib  libruby-static.a
libyaml.la    ruby
libhistory.6.dylib  libreadline.6.dylib  libyaml-0.2.dylib  perl5
libhistory.a    libreadline.a    libyaml.a    pkgconfig
libhistory.dylib  libreadline.dylib  libyaml.dylib    python2.6

... but it appears that they weren't found.  I did note the following
message during the the YAML make process:
Libraries have been installed in:
   /Users/r/Developer/Topaz/usr/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.