A bit of an open question!  I have written ray tracers for image =
generation (computer graphics) but I expect the same ideas and =
techniques can be applied to acoustic analysis.  There are many good =
books on ray tracing in computer graphics (An introduction to ray =
tracing by Glassner) and SIGGRAPH papers.  Most of the execution time =
goes in finding intersections and there are many different acceleration =
data structures you can use to speed up the 3D spatial search.  I =
wouldn't use Ruby for the intersection search (other than prototyping) =
simply because of its performance.

Dave.