A bit of an open question!  I have written ray tracers for image generation (computer graphics) but I expect the same ideas and techniques can be applied to acoustic analysis.  There are many good books on ray tracing in computer graphics (An introduction to ray tracing by Glassner) and SIGGRAPH papers.  Most of the execution time goes in finding intersections and there are many different acceleration data structures you can use to speed up the 3D spatial search.  I wouldn't use Ruby for the intersection search (other than prototyping) simply because of its performance.

Dave.