I tried compiling the trunk version on OS X Snow Leopard, and it
didn't work, and it didn't give a meaningful error message:

https://gist.github.com/1395715 has the attempt, with the failure
during the ./configure step. At the end, there is also uname
information, and the version of ruby-head used.

I had previously tried compiling it under rvm, and it didn't work.
User mpapis of the #rvm channel also tried compiling it on OS X using
rvm, and couldn't get it to work either. He didn't try compiling
directly (ie not using rvm), however. mpapis also tried compiling on
Linux, and it worked there (see the gist for OS details).

I'm hesitant in claiming that this is a bug, because I've never tried
compiling Ruby without RVM before. Can someone who has experience with
directly compiling ruby on OS X check whether it's working for them?

Thanks,

Andrew Grimm