2011/11/25 Ricardo N=F3brega <ric.nobrega / hotmail.com>

> Hi! My name is Ricardo and im 15. I decided that i will go to college
> study computer science, so i think that is better start learning now,
> and get a feedback about programming. I started reading this book :
> "Learn to program" by Chris Pine, and i got to admitt, when i first did
> that thing "Hello World" i really love it, but when i got to this part,
> things didn't go very good:
>
> "Now that you=92ve gotten everything ready, it=92s time to write your fir=
st
> program! Open your text editor, and type the following:
> puts 1+2
> Save your program (yep, that=92s a complete program!) as calc.rb. Now
> run your program by typing ruby calc.rb into your command line. It
> should put a 3 on your screen."
>

> When i opened the command line, and typed calc.rb, it said : "ruby
> calc.rb is not recognized as an internal or external command operable
> program or batch file".
>
> Please, i need some help :)
>
> --

Sounds like your computer can't find the ruby executable. IIRC, the windows
installer should provide a version of the terminal with Ruby in the path
(the path is a list of locations that the computer will look in to find
programs like Ruby). Maybe try going to program files and looking in the
folder for Ruby to see if it has it's own terminal (not sure what it would
be called, maybe "system" or something). And then try running it from there=
.

Alternatively, there are probably instructions somewhere for how to add it
to your path (or generally, how to add programs to path if you can't find
anything specific)

A quick search just now turned up
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/3034898which looks very similar to
your issue. Luis says in there that you can
specify it to be in the path when you install it. So if the above
suggestion doesn't work, maybe consider reinstalling with those options
checked.

Here are also some tutorials for installing on Windows, if all of the above
don't work out https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Tutorials

Anyway, good job working ahead :) great to see people who care.