I would suggest checking out Chris Pine's book Learn to Program. It is a
book in ruby that will definitely help. After learning some of the basics
of ruby and running ruby programs from the command line (terminals and
command prompts), then you should give the RubyKoans
<http://rubykoans.com/>a try. They are a great way to get started. If
you ever have any questions,
make sure to post it here, so that others can help.

Best of Luck!