Hi,

From: MENON Jean-Francois <Jean-Francois.MENON / meteo.fr>
Subject: Re: Tk under Ruby [newbie to ruby]
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:23:03 +0900
> when entering Tk.mainloop, you don't exit of the loop, so it must be the
> last instruction of your program.

You can stop Tk.mainloop. But then, re-drawing of widgets stops too. :-)
It is sometimes useful. If you need your application's GUI window
only temporarily, you will be able to hide (withdraw) the window and
stop Tk.mainloop. It maybe make your application's response speed up.

> I suppose that's why ruby's Threads works slowly with Tk.mainloop.

I think the cost of thread switching between Ruby and Tk is large.

> And that's why I think that the events loop should be integrated into
> the ruby's interpreter loop.

Whether it is integrated, the cost will not change.
The event loop is heavy routine.
Therefore, I think it is better to be able to control
when the event loop shold be running.
Don't you think so?