Robert Klemme wrote in post #1032544:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Dave Baldwin <dave.baldwin / 3dlabs.com>
> wrote:
>>> With yaml, are there any generic tools to query data ?
>>
>> It is just a text file so any of your suggestions (awk/grep/sed/cut) will work.
>
> Why not just read the file in an IRB session and traverse the object
> graph?
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Some people store data in multiple yaml files. grep only gets me a
matching line. Not other fields of that file. Even more difficult for
"greater than" or similar queries.

I once did a ruby commandline project in which i stored data in a
multi-row format. Great for inserts and if schema changed. But not great
to query. Equally bad for updating. I then changed it to a
delimited/fixed format. Great for query, insert and update, but horrible
when adding columns inside.
Finally, I did another version in sqlite.

Thus i have apprehensions about using yaml. I'd like to know about
generic tools for fast querying of yml data.