I have a gem that has been growing for a while (e.g. mygem). There's a
lot of experimental stuff being added. So I'd like to have a mygem-core
which has the basic stuff that should be stable and fairly frozen. Then
i can quickly respond with a fix, rather than wait for the other changes
to stabilize.

The other stuff can go into mygem-extra or mygem-utils and
mygem-experimental. Some of it may move from "experimental" to "util" or
"extra"
as the API stabilizes.

I am not clear what the best way is. Do i keep the original gem name and
make it implicitly the "core" removing all other stuff from it. Or
should i create new gems for these 3 or 4, meaning that the original gem
(name) will no longer exist.

Should i keep it in one git repo within the same directory structure
(meaning multiple gemspec files). Or divide/clone it into separate
github repos. However, I am hoping that even across these gems the root
directory will still be mygem.

Will dividing the gem lead to other problems ?