Where I work we have a local Ruby group that used to meet up, until the
organizer left the company. Now the responsibility has fallen on my
shoulders to lead the group. So I'm shopping around for ideas about what
would make for interesting topics for future meetings.

What sort of topics would you find interesting and would make you want
to go to such a group?

One idea I had was to have regular programming challenges [1], that can
be completed in about 15 minutes. Then the group could split up into
pair programming groups to tackle the challenge. Then we could wrap up
the meetup by discussing and comparing how we each solved the problem.

What I want to avoid is having the meetings be different people (or the
same people) doing presentations. They just feel really dry and turn the
meeting into a sort of Toastmaster for programmers. Since it's a
programming language I'd rather have it be learning by doing.

What do you guys think? Ideas? Suggestions?

1 - Problems like at Project Euler - http://www.projecteuler.net/

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce / gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/