On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:52 AM, aseret nuagen <unguyen90 / aim.com> wrote:
>> You mean like the professor for the course? =A0Because that would be me =
.
>> . . =A0That "challenge" is copied almost verbatim from a problem set.
>>
>> I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the members of this
>> board for their general vigilance in this matter. =A0As we all know,
>> students (some students) try this kind of thing all the time, and yet
>> the community can be relied upon to call them on it.
>>
>> No one asks you to do that, and certainly, no professor would expect
>> people who are otherwise just trying to be helpful to act as the ethics
>> police (nor could I blame anyone who answers the question in good
>> faith). =A0But the truth is, someone nearly always calls them on it, and=
>> think those of us who teach programming are very grateful for your help.
>> You're upholding the ethical standards of our discipline, and you really
>> do a great service to the profession by doing so.

You are welcome!

> I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm a friend who she came to for
> help with this problem and she did not ask me to post this. I created
> this forum acct under her email address which i know now is a huge
> mistake for jeopardizing her "honesty" identity like this. She asked me
> for help and I didn't know how to do it, so instead I took the easy
> route and ask it in here forgetting that it is public. She told me that
> what i was doing was wrong and that if i did not know then i shouldn't
> ask the public to try and solve it. She said "i rather do this on my own
> then to turn in somebody else's work. In my school this is considered
> academic dishonesty, and as a senior soon to graduate, I cannot risk it.
> If I do not understand it, then I will not turn it in. I'm =A0better off
> dropping the course then to pass on an assignment that i did not write."
> Those were her exact words and once she officially dropped the class on
> Saturday, I knew that she was serious and refuse to get involve in what
> is posted on here. I may have asked the community for help on a problem,
> but she did a noble choice in refusing to use the problem and would
> rather not turn the assignment. she said that she has missed 2
> assignment and because of that, her only resort is to drop the class.
> She said she is very devastated by this because you're her favorite
> teacher, but this is the only option since she didn't do the problems.
>
> I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused you.

You are focusing on the "get free help" matter but if I understand
this correctly and all this is true then this can be seen as a case of
identity theft, which may even be subject to legal prosecution.  I
have to say I find impersonating someone else by (ab)using their email
address even worse than trying to get something for free from the
community.  Why on earth did you not use your own email account for
this?  This is such a great community and I am very sad seeing things
like this happening here.

Regards

robert

--=20