On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Gennady Bystritsky
<gennady-ruby / bystr.com> wrote:
> And this is not something unheard of in Object Oriented Concept world. Just look at Objective-C for quick examples, where a subclass is responsible also for its superclass allocation, not only initialization.

An init method in Objective-C (at least in Cocoa) only calls its
superclass's init method, not alloc. The class method alloc
automatically allocates enough space for the whole object.

(The strange thing about calling -[super init] in Cocoa is that you
have to assign your self variable to the result, just in case -[super
init] actually returns a whole different object. In that case, the
super initializer will deallocate the original one. That's an area I
don't understand very well.)